Saturday 10 October 2009

Suck Face No More

Earlier this week, I spent a butt-numbing three hours to see a doctor who's been helping me over the last few weeks. Normally, I wouldn’t waste so much time waiting to see someone (my regular doctor is usually available within 15 minutes) but this GP came highly recommended. He’s the third opinion on the recent bout of illness I’ve been having. The reason I went to see him this time was to get the results of my blood test, which he’d ordered to find out what’s been making me overly tired and sickly, on top of the strange stomach problems (I’m just a bundle of bad health and hypochondria).

Anyway, as it turns out, I'm a vampire. I guess with all that sucking and nighttime proclivities, it was bound to happen. I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner.

But seriously, the diagnosis was this: I have a severe deficiency of vitamin D. The normal range for most people is between 70 to 360. Mine came back hovering just above 10. Apparently, this pretty much explains the lethargy, weakness, aches and pains, and mood swings I’ve been feeling. Sadly, it doesn’t explain why I’m still single and sexless. But that’s a whole other kind of vitamin D deficiency.

His prescription was simple: get out in the sun at least 10 minutes a day to maintain levels and take a vitamin D tablet to bring me up to normal range.

So that’s exactly what I’ve been doing in the last few days. It’s amazing what a world of difference a few minutes bathe in sunlight does to you. I’m sure you know what I mean. Instantly you feel refreshed, happy and alive. And to think that’s it just out there--and free! It’s a pity that most of us fail take the time to do this even once in a while, what with desk-bound jobs and errands that need doing.

So there you have it. My ordeal for this week. Not too bad a result really. I mean, for all the things that you can find, I guess low vitamin D levels is the least terrible you can ask for. It’s easily fixed with a pill, not life-threatening and what’s more, an excuse to be outside and away from the drudgery of the indoors.

The only thing is, now I guess there goes my starring role in the next Twilight movie. And I was so looking forward to sucking face with Mr Pointy.



No big loss. I hear he's quite the stinker.

1 comment:

Evol Kween said...

I've also heard that he smells bad. I'd much prefer the guy who plays Jacob.....